Australian Tax System and Tax Refund


Australian Tax System and Tax Refund

  • No one logged in.
  • Subscribe button New Post Button

09-Sep-2010 11:21 AM

Mr Tax

Posts: 13

Australia operates under a tax system of Pay-As-You-Go. This means that instead of paying one lump sum of tax at the end, the employer consistently withholds the appropriate amount of tax from your wages.  The payslip provided by your employer usually provides detail of amount of salary paid and amount of tax withheld. At the end of financial year (30th of June), you have to submit a tax return to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). This allows the ATO to calculate whether you have paid enough taxes on the wages you earned. If you have paid less than you should, you get a tax bill. If you have paid more taxes than you should, you can get a tax refund. To find out whether you should get a tax refund please go to:
Apply for a Tax Refund from Australia

  • Subscribe button New Post Button

The Average Australian Tax Refund is $2600


Need Tax Information

Australian money

Tax for working holiday makers.
It is a complete myth that you will automatically get all your tax back when you leave Australia! There is a lot of confusion out there amongst, not only working holiday backpackers but also amongst many employers and even some accountants and tax agents.

Read More


Need Visa Information

Passport image

Need a visa for Australia
WHV's can ONLY be applied for; before arriving in Australia. Working Holiday Visa's* can only be granted before you arrive in Australia. For details about applying visit Australia's official website here ( or visit a Travel Agent or an Australian Embassy or Consulate in the country you are in.

Read More


Need Superannuation Information

If your monthly wage is more than $A450, your employer must contribute an additional sum equal to 9.5% of your wage into a superannuation (pension) account for you. If you entered Australia on an eligible temporary resident visa you can, in most cases, access your contributions when you leave Australia, although the contributions will be taxed.

Read More