The tax system for working holiday makers and people on low income?


The tax system for working holiday makers and people on low income?

  • No one logged in.
  • Subscribe button New Post Button

09-Sep-2010 11:19 AM

Mr Tax

Posts: 13

Not everybody pays the same amount of tax. The tax payable differs depending upon whether you are a resident or a non-resident for tax purposes. This is different to permanent residency under immigration law. Many working holiday makers and students have been deemed to be a resident for tax purposes. There are various criteria for working out if you are resident or not. You can use the residency calculator at ATO’s website or talk about your situation with a tax agent. Usually you will be classified as a resident if you have stayed more than 6 months in Australia in one location and established a living pattern.

For example, if you earned $10,000 during one financial year, you would pay $600 in tax if you are resident or $2900 in tax if you are non resident. As you can see, there is a significant difference.

According to our experiences, most working holiday makers are residents for tax purposes. Also, Australian taxation system has many incentives for low income earners, especially for people earning under $30,000. Therefore, many working holiday maker and students often end up with a significant amount of tax refund.

  • Subscribe button New Post Button

The Average Australian Tax Refund is $2600


Need Tax Information

Australian money

Tax for working holiday makers.
It is a complete myth that you will automatically get all your tax back when you leave Australia! There is a lot of confusion out there amongst, not only working holiday backpackers but also amongst many employers and even some accountants and tax agents.

Read More


Need Visa Information

Passport image

Need a visa for Australia
WHV's can ONLY be applied for; before arriving in Australia. Working Holiday Visa's* can only be granted before you arrive in Australia. For details about applying visit Australia's official website here ( or visit a Travel Agent or an Australian Embassy or Consulate in the country you are in.

Read More


Need Superannuation Information

If your monthly wage is more than $A450, your employer must contribute an additional sum equal to 9.5% of your wage into a superannuation (pension) account for you. If you entered Australia on an eligible temporary resident visa you can, in most cases, access your contributions when you leave Australia, although the contributions will be taxed.

Read More