Need Visa Information

Passport image

Need a visa for Australia
WHV's can ONLY be applied for; before arriving in Australia. Working Holiday Visa's* can only be granted before you arrive in Australia. For details about applying visit Australia's official website here ( or visit a Travel Agent or an Australian Embassy or Consulate in the country you are in.

Read More

Home of the Original Outbackpackers Country Pub Workstay Experience

It can be almost impossible as a traveller working in a big city to save money and the jobs on offer are often of the type you could be doing back home, or are of the 'loser type', e.g. charity collecting, commission sales etc, or the hours available aren't enough to save money (most short term hospitality jobs on offer in the city are for only 15 to 25 hours per week and the work roster's change continuously).

Well paid office jobs in the city can also be deceptive - when it comes to saving money - unless you plan to stay for at least six months. Less than six months will put you in the non-resident tax bracket which means you'll pay a sh@t load of tax of which you will not be able to claim much back information on TAX.

City living overhead costs y are also high i.e. accommodation, travel (to and from work), the temptations to 'go out' etc; all these city expenses eat into your hard earned and make it hard for you to save much money.

So a 3 to 4 to 6 to 8 to 12 to 26 week Workstay in a Country Pub can be a very attractive alternative especially as your accommodation, food and socialising costs are all built in.

Not only will you get to save some money, you will also get to meet "the locals" some real characters which in the beginning can be quite frightening but once you've settled in can become great and life long friends.

As well; you will get to experience a part of "Real Australia".

If this sounds like something you would like to 'give a go', then all you need is a reasonable command of the English language, a positive work and play ethic, a sense of humour and a minimum number of weeks availability (minimum varies from pub to pub and the time of the year but the average minimum stay is from between 3 to 6 weeks (ideally at least 4). Your maximum stay can be up to 26 weeks.

You don't even need to have previous bar experience. We have lots of Workstays and at least one is sure to suit 'even you'.

If you already have bar experience we should be able to find you a placement where you will be able to save even more money.

Like the ever growing number of working holiday & gap year travellers who have given this a go, you should be embarking on one of your 'best ever' travel adventures. Testimonials

At the very least you will have tried something completely different, met some real characters, visited somewhere you otherwise wouldn't off, saved some money and experienced a true working holiday in Outback Australia!

So from wherever you are, or whatever time of the year it is, head over to Perth Western Australia and contact Workstay and let us embark you on what will probably become one of your
'best ever travel experiences'.


Some frequently asked questions about working in Pubs

How soon can I get a Workstay?

A; Once you have arrived in Australia and we have met you and you have met us, and you don't have two heads, we would usually get you going from within 2 days to 2 weeks. If however you do have two heads, it may take us a little longer. It always depends on whats available and when you are. Workstay's reputation is based on us not sending you off to just anywhere. (please note there is a great demand at the moment and we are trying to restructure the way the company is going forward)

How much will I earn?

A: Your basic take home (in hand) will be no less than $400 per 35 - 40hr working week, plus, you get your accommodation (own room) and all meals provided as part of the package. Some Workstays can pay substantially more depending on your previous bar experience and the length of time that you are available to Workstay etc.

How do I get there?

Usually travelling to your Workstay is via the government run bus or train network. Sometimes a lift may be organised or for further afield destinations there are other bus companies and for really remote destinations the pub may fly you. Most Workstays are within a radius of 500klms from Perth and travel to these places will cost on average between $20 and $100. Often the pubs will reimburse you the cost of travel after you have completed the agreed 'minimum stay'.

Are Workstays for females only?

Barmaids are an integral part of Outback Aussie culture and the original Workstay Country Pub Barmaids program was essentially for females, however more and more Workstay Pubs are taking guys as well (and couples, i.e. guys and girls travelling together) especially if the guys have pub experience or are qualified cooks/chefs.

Do I need previous Pub experience?

No! In fact this is another great thing about Workstays i.e. you get to learn something new and by the end of your Workstay Pub Experience you will be an experienced Bar and Hospitality person which will hold you in good stead wherever you go for further work ...

What if I don't like it?

No drama's, it usually takes at least a week to settle in but after that, if you just don't like it, then we have an easy escape plan, plus, if you wanted to try a different Workstay, then still no worries...Workstay has been designed to be win win for everyone ...

Can I do more than one Workstay?

Absolutely!.. in fact more and more Workstayers have done as many as four placements and loved them all...

Do I have to pay a Membership Fee to Workstay?



does not try to sell you anything. We try to help you 'Have the Time Of Your Life!
Workstay's costs are paid for by our Sponsor's, including the Workstay Pub's, Advertisers and other Workstay program host's.

More WorkStay testimonials Here.